C O N S I D E R I N G A C U L T U R A L T E X T

After Seminar One I considered two cultural texts for my analysis. I knew I was very interested in gender, feminism and identity and tried ...

After Seminar One I considered two cultural texts for my analysis. I knew I was very interested in gender, feminism and identity and tried to find connections to my other interests to find a suitable subject matter. 


I recently watched the new Star Wars film and remember being impressed with their change in direction when it comes to gender roles and stereotypes as well as ethnicity. Since I have only watched the film twice so far, I asked myself if a closer look would support my first impression or if there was much more to find in the films than I first noticed.
Since I'm currently researching into fashion photography as an industry for one of my other modules I also thought of Vogue Magazine and how it is a magazine primarily made for women and yet can be accused of objectifying them. I wondered if I could find any proof that it isn't what it seems, especially when thinking of John Berger's famous quote 'Men act, women appear.'. 

I was more intrigued by possibly proving myself wrong and seeing in how far specific social constructs such as gender roles and white-normativity have influenced my views and opinions and decided to analyse Rey's representation in 'Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens'.




We were giving a few questions and important points to keep in mind while looking at and choosing a cultural texts, so I went ahead and tried to answer as many as possible with my choice in mind.


Looking at a ‘cultural text’ in context:

• Consider who made/produced it, and when and where it was produced/made.
J.J. Abrams, USA, 2015
It's a new story set within the old Star Wars universe from George Lucas's six films (1977-2005).

• Consider the site or space in which it is viewed/consumed. Is there an intended audience?
Right now it is viewed in cinemas around the world and will move on to home appliances such as TVs and computers soon enough. The intended audience is fans of the old films as well as possible new fans of all ages and generations.

• How does the context impact upon the ways in which we ‘read’/understand the ‘cultural text’?
We instantly compare the new film to George Lucas's original six, especially when it comes to reappearing characters, concepts, settings and storylines. This instinctive comparison makes the progress of female protagonists in film much more obvious.

Reading a ‘cultural’ text:

  • Consider which theories, themes or ideas from the lecture programme come to mind when looking at this ‘cultural text’? 
    • John Berger, Ways of Seeing - I'd like to put his words 'Men act, women appear' to a test in the context of this film
    • Judith Butler, Gender Troubles - Gender as a performance? 
    • Masculine/Feminine are taught behaviour codes - Rey as typically feminine/masculine?
    • Issues of power: Men over women: Relationship between Rey and the men around her (Finn, Han Solo, Kylo Ren?)
  • Think about specific lectures that you could talk about in relation to this ‘cultural text’ 
    • Intersectional Self


For your next seminar:
  • Locate and peruse journal articles, books and book chapters relevant to your area of interest, and do the following…
    •  Find one journal article and one book/book chapter that either deals directly with your ‘cultural text’ itself or with themes that you think are relevant to your ‘cultural text’/its maker or producer. 
  • List the following information for each of your sources: 
    • Name of the source (journal title and article title / book title and chapter title) 
      • Screen 16 (3), 'Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema'
    • Name of the author (and editor if relevant) 
      • Laura Mulvey
    • Publishing information (publishing company, place of publication and date of publication) 
      • Oxford University Press, 1975

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Flickr Images